Upcoming Meetings and Events

The next Ohio IX Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 14th, 2021, at 9:30am. The location will be via a Zoom video call. Details will be sent to the Board of Directors. Any member who would like to attend should contact us for call in details.

 

November 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

November 12, 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Marijan Adam, Luke Skidmore,  Doug Payauys, Greg Dunn, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Governance – Greg talked to Denis Walsh regarding joining the IX. It was suggested that the Technical committee and the content sourcing committee get together to put a case together.

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing –

  • Amazon connected but no traffic yet. Can request to peer with them and can do that through the IXP manager.
  • Discussed sending information to members to let them know and sending a link to information on the IXP Manager.

Marketing Committee

  • Todd Jackson joined the committee
  • ONUG meeting is December 10th featuring Cologix. We will send something out to members
  • Jason G put together a blog post for companies.
  • Nancy talked to OTA President Charles Moses to partner on marketing the two groups. She invited him to join a board meeting to learn more about it.  She will follow up with him.

Tech Committee

  • Proposed using Arista equipment (they provide a program where they provide equipment to
  • IX’s ).  Jason put together some information which will be attached to these minutes. Advantages include more ports, more mature platform and more redundancy.  Provides 40 and 100G    We will have much deeper buffers and less packet drops.  Would help to automate everything in the IXP Manager.  The support contract would be $8900 a year with the first payment 14 months from now.  The budget would come from member fees.  We would also have $1100 support for Juniper.  We currently have 21 senior members and 12 Associate members so have the funds to cover the cost.  Brent feels this is the direction we need to go to grow.  There was a motion to go forward with Arista proposal.  The motion was seconded and passed.  They would like to do a press release as well.
  • They set up the route collector.
  • They talked to Starry and GTT
  • Amplex provided a /24 to the IX so we can host more servers, get more traffic and a new transit network. If anyone is interested in using this, let them know.

 CTO

  • Traffic is steady around 9 Gbps
  • H5 is looking to set up a remote switch
  • Involta wants a second IP – checking to see if can be done on one port.

Old / New Business

  • Peering – We want to protect the IX from accepting members that may harm the IX. Discussed looking at by-laws to see if we can control who joins.  Per Greg Dunn, we don’t need to change the by-laws at this time.
  • H5 is working on connecting. There are some companies showing interest connecting through them.
  • Past due membership
  • No holiday party due to covid. We discussed sending some type of package out to members.  The marketing committee will discuss.

We will have the next meeting on Thursday, December 10th at 9:30.  Conference Bridge will be sent.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

October 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

October 8, 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Marijan Adam, Luke Skidmore,  Doug Payauys, Greg Dunn, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag,

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Governance – N/A

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – Starry Inc applied for Senior Membership.  They are a WISP that is coming to Columbus.  They were voted on and approved.

Content Sourcing –

  • We sent our LOA to Amazon
  • We are on the wait list for Google to provide cache

Marketing Committee – The Committee met last week

  • Discussed joining groups such as OTA or ORBA. ORBA is $500, Phil will send us some information.  We approved joining these groups.
  • Discussed how to pay for things we have approved to do. Have about $2000 budget
  • ONUG – can present at one of their virtual meetings. Jason Gintert talked to them about allowing us to talk at the next meeting on November 12th.  Marijan, Adam and Jason will present.
  • They would like to publish information on our website such as blogs, case studies, etc. Kim currently has access and will provide access to Chris to add this content.
  • Discussed doing a member spotlight that discusses member accomplishments instead of just information about the member
  • Would like to purchase event materials like a new banner that we can display at events. Accent and Bresco is having an event and would let us advertise at no charge.

 CTO

  • IXP manager has been moved on site. It has been integrated with S Flow from the switches
  • Have done back-ups for VM’s
  • Had issues with the switches acting as hubs, updated the firmware and rebooted
  • Arista is involved in IX provided hardware at no charge. We submitted a request.  This would provide routing options to host cache.  We may do our own routing
  • The HE router has a small issue but it is now fixed
  • Vision CTS is now peering
  • Next month – working on Looking Glass and Internal DNS

 Old / New Business

  • Tabled CTO discussion revisited – We discussed the CTO position (Marijan was not at the last meeting so tabled to this meeting). Initial discussions were Marijan and Adam were both interested in this position.  Adam withdrew his name from the table and Marijan was voted in to continue doing the CTO role.  Adam will be the back-up for the CTO if needed and will also chair the technical committee.
  • Past due memberships
  • Discussed allowing Associate members to speak at our board meetings to give them more exposure and provide a value to their membership. We also said senior members could do this as well.   Also discussed virtual happy hours to allow members to connect other than the annual meeting.  These items will be discussed at the new marketing committee meeting.

We will have the next meeting on Thursday, November12th at 9:30.  Conference Bridge will be sent.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier