Ohio Ix

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis,  Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson, Brian Riley

Roll Call

Membership Applications – No new applications at this time.  Shelby still needs to get with Tim to discuss the formal policy for assignment and revocation of rights to Ohio IX cross connects.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Treasurer’s Report  Invoice has been sent to Accent.  No expenses from this month.  We are still waiting on an invoice from OARnet which Paul will put together. We need to pay OARnet for the switch and optics as well as maintenance.

We need to decide if we want to purchase a back- up switch next year.  We can either wait until we need it (OARnet usually has them on hand) or if we are able we can go ahead and purchase so we already have it if needed.  We will look at finances for next year and decide what we want to do.

CTO Report – The fabric is live.  OneIT and Bresco are connected and peering.  We have 5 cross connects completed and waiting on LOA’s for the rest.  Marijan has provided information to IFN regarding peering.  OARnet is waiting on their router to go live in the South in the next couple weeks.  Multi-level peering is ready and routes are being exchanged.  The user interface is not ready yet.  What we wanted to use isn’t going to work, it is too automated.  We want members to be able to see at least 2 things: traffic on all ports and routes in the route servers.  May look at IXP Manager as read only.

Marijan would like to get some cable management for the cabinet.  Brent Beatty will provide a 2U cable management system for him to use.

We would like to find out what the cost is from OARnet for Optics.  There are other sources that provide less expensive optics.  Mark Fulmer from OARnet will provide us their price.  Could be a big savings to buy them elsewhere.  We would vet one first and if good can order more.  Fiber Store is source he has found and knows many people who use them.

We discussed some additional items for the Welcome Letter and Brent will update.

We are not using BGP due to issues.  They are working to correct it so we can start using.  This should be fixed in a few weeks.

We discussed that we want to make sure Marijan is getting the help he needs to move things forward.  Luke is willing to help on the technical piece.  He feels we are ok now but we wanted to make sure he knows that it isn’t all on his shoulders and we can help with whatever is needed.

We need to update peering db with the Ohio IX control.

Governance Committee – No updates at this time

Marketing Committee – The presentation and Leave Behind was sent out to everyone and is also stored on the shared drive.

Discussed who is sending out the Welcome Letter.  We need the information put into a Google Form and will create an account for them to be sent from.  Nancy will send them out when it is ready.  Marijan will help Nancy to get it set up with in Google.  Kim will provide an opening paragraph and Marijan will provide a link to Kim.

Kim has access to update the website through Word Press.  We need to make sure we are keeping the website updated and we are doing back-ups so no issues.  May need help from the technical committee.  Kim will look into it and let us know if she needs help.

We have put a member prospect list on the share drive.  We need all members to help and market and acquire new members.   If you have someone you are talking to, please add them to the spreadsheet so we can track it.  This will also help so no one is being contacted by multiple people.  Tim needs to add original prospects to the list.  Doug will send his list to Kim to add.  Marijan will contact Agile.

If anyone is going to shows let us know.  We can see if it is worth going or you can take information with you.  Keep us posted if you hear of any local events that are worth going to.  We can use press releases to let people know we are attending.

We need to do a press release to let people know that we are exchanging traffic.  Doug is going to check with Greg Dunn to see if we can use their PR wire service.

Brent suggested we may want to speak to groups to talk about the IX, can be small technology groups.  We need to use our connections to promote this.


Old Business – Doug is working on draft of the budget.  Please provide any budget dollars you think you need as soon as possible.

New Business – No new business

Next meeting – December 15th at 3:30 at Cologix, will go out after to celebrate the holidays.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier