February 2021 Ohio IX Meeting

February 11, 2021 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Luke Skidmore,  Doug Payauys, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley, Matt Moran, Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved 

Governance – We need to file with the Secretary of State by June.  We will try to file online.  Kim has some information she needs to file as well and may have some of the information we need from what she needs to complete.  The Broadband bill looks like it will pass the Senate (Senate bill 8, House bill 2).  

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing

  • Facebook putting 5 conduits in Columbus
  • PCH is sending out cache servers, they are running behind but should have in the next couple months

Marketing Committee 

  • The codes for the gift certificates for the online store have been created.  The committee is meeting today and will get the codes out to everyone.  It is taking about 3 weeks to get orders.
  • Accent is having a golf outing in mid-June.  They will allow the IX to have a sponsorship at no cost.
  • Let us know if you are having any events that the IX can participate in. 

Tech Committee

  • We provisioned the 2nd 10G port for Amazon (will be going to 4 – 10G)
  • US Signal, Watch and Starry are now online
  • The remote switch at H5 is about done, Integrated Network Concepts will be the first member.  We send H5 the remote switch tech form.
  • The support contract is due for the Juniper switches.  It is $987 for 12 months.  We should keep the support even though will be using the Arista switches.  We will still probably utilize these and if we let it drop, it is expensive to get it back.  It was moved and seconded to keep this support. Motion passed. 
  • Still waiting on the Arista gear to arrive.  Some is here but not all.  Will put together a timeline for the migration to this equipment.  It will be automatic deployable through the IXP Manager.  The development work is done, looking at probably April.  We will be doing a press release with them (They will provide a 30 day notice).  Our first year of support with them will be included.

CTO Report

  • Traffic is 10 Gig consistently
  • Talked about the Process Guide to connect to Amazon, Cloudflare and Fastly.  Adam is working on it, need to start with IXP Manager.  It is about 1/3 way done.
  • Brent has put something together for OARnet and will send to Doug for review.

Old / New Business 

  • Remote switch – issues with being open ended.  Going to check with MICE on what they do for their Remote Switch agreement.  Most agreed that the remote switch members should have a formal relationship with the IX.  If we get more members, it will reduce the cost for everyone.
  • Cyxtera DC – They have customers that want to connect to the IX.  There may be fiber between Cologix and Cyxtera.  Nancy is checking on her end and CEC checking as well.   Think it might be connected in the manhole.

Further discussion on gaining more eyeballs and bandwidth through big cable companies and others:

  • Rob Schema has some contacts; discussion specifically around WOW again and helping to connect them remotely if needed.  Lots of peering between WOW and OARnet (40 Gb?); Brent to add that to our justification with OARnet
  • Per Luke, Spectrum’s peering policy is not beneficial to us since they only peer in 8 markets?
  • Doug brought up peering with Verizon since they are rolling out home internet; Marijan suggest that might be easier than others since they already have a presence in Cologix through their XO assets
  • Discussion on T-Mobile for the same reasons; talk with Horizon and Everstream who both have direct relationships?
  • Matt posted a number of NE Ohio companies that would be worth looking at; Massillon Cable jumped out as one to target – Rob has a direct personal relationship that he could reach out to

We will have the next meeting on Thursday March 11th at 9:30.  Conference Bridge will be sent