Ohio Ix

December 10, 2021 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Luke Skidmore, Doug Payauys, Rob Shema, Brian Riley, Brent Beatty, Matt Moran, Chris Cameron, Todd Jackson, Greg Dunn and Jason Gintert

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved 

Governance – The $42 Billion Infrastructure bill is slated to provide funding next year; Greg will keep us updated.  We discussed ways the Ohio IX could use some of that money to expand the IX and remote switch locations including helping to cover the cost of transport as well as routers and switches.  Working to set up a meeting to get in front of them in January.  Greg is helping with that.  

Associate & Senior Member Applications – 

Associate Membership – N/A

Senior Membership – Smart Way Communications – Nancy 

Content Sourcing – 

  • Matt is going to reach out to Massilon Cable
  • Working to put information together to send out to smaller ISP’s
  • QTS is looking to move to New Albany, and they may be interested
  • Jason had talked to Deep Edge; they are looking to set up a POP
  • First Communications provided a verbal to join the IX in the 1st Qtr
  • Valve is working on approval for cache
  • Brent talked to SFN TV
  • Telia is looking to come to Columbus
  • Some of the members need to regroom their networks to go through the IX so we get the additional traffic, and the companies can save money on transport.  Doug suggested covering cost for a temporary 10G port to help traffic be changed to the IX.  We need to get more information out to the members, suggested adding information to the website.

Marketing Committee –Starting to meet every 3 weeks.  Trying to add additional networking opportunities for members and prospects so they feel more part of the organization.  Going to have happy hours in different areas of the state starting with one in Columbus on January 20th.  We are looking for a location now.  We are waiting on the approval from Arista for the press release, hoping to send out next week.  We discussed getting a package of press releases so we can continue to send them out.  We have some money that wasn’t spent from the marketing budget last year so suggested to use some of that for the additional press releases.

Tech Committee / CTO Report

  • The technical committee put a project list together and will delegate those items
  • Have worked on a management report with Bresco to see the ports on his remote switch
  • Have done updates to monitoring
  • Added MAC filter addresses
  • Updated Linux Hosts
  • They would like to evaluate Veam, VM Ware and Windows licenses.  Can order off the state term through OARnet is an option but looking at other options as well
  • Doing security audit on passwords etc
  • Matt is reviewing Veam backups -looking at backup
  • Everstream is still down
  • The traffic has been between 14 and 16 Gig

Old / New Business 

  • Ohio IX/Arista Press Release – shooting for next Tuesday
  • Bi-lateral peering guidance / documentation (Matt) – Matt has it done, wanting to know how to distribute.  Talked about putting it on the website and doing webinars.
  • Strategic Planning – Doug is going to put a group together to discuss direction for the IX
  • 2022 Budget Planning – Please provide information to Kim

Next meeting – January 7, 2022 at 9:00 am.  This will be virtual, we discussed doing an in person meeting at least once a quarter.

Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier