February 11, 2022 Ohio IX Meeting
Attendees: Nancy Tiemeier, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart, Doug Payauys, Rob Shema, Brian Riley, Brent Beatty, Matt Moran, Todd Jackson, Greg Dunn, Jason Gintert and Aaron Holtz
Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed
Secretary Report – Minutes Approved
- Peter Voderberg is happy to meet with us, just need to schedule. – Looking at next 2 Fridays and discussed who wants to wants to attend.
- NTIA – notice funding coming out in May –
Associate & Senior Member Applications –
Associate Membership – N/A
Senior Membership – Waddell Solutions Group and Southern Fibernet Corp – Both were discussed and approved
Old / New Business
- Detroit IX would like to connect with us. CFN is doing a joint fiber build in Detroit to Southfield MI. Aunalytics is also part of the Detroit IX
- Strategic Planning – Doug, Brent, Jason and Nancy met- we discussed an overview of what we discussed. We want to have a follow up meeting with more people Brian, Todd and Luke are interested in being part of the next meeting.
- Global Virtual Internet Exchange – Megaport and Cogent which are strong in Ohio. We could do a private VLAN to other fabrics. Both charge for data transfer. Jason talked to Cogent – no port charge; they use the 95th percentile and charge $.10/Mbps. We would be listed in their exchange. Need to more information. Megaport – free port and fixed price/Mbps
- Networking events – We should be ready in March. Need to check if inviting members to the Accent event.
- Todd Jackson is changing roles. He is going to Lit Communications (Medina Fiber). They will join the IX and continue on in his role on the board. They would be a possible remote switch opportunity.
Tech Committee / CTO Report
- Smart Way Communications is up
- New route servers are up and running – They are upgraded and patched
- Mircrosoft cache – had discussions- they don’t provide a server. We could use a spare if we want to go that route and move if we needed. Marijan may have one we could use. It is a lower level server – about 8 TB of space
- Brent signed paperwork for Steam and Valve cache – will be good for gaming and video. They liked that we have a separate services network for cache. Having our internet for this is unique to the Ohio IX and may want to promote this
- We should list information on content providers on website and provide information
- Discussed looking at marketing budget and try to hire someone to help with the website
- Discussed when to shut down ports for those that have not paid or not using us anymore. We need to put a document together for procedure.
- The newsletter was great
Next meeting – March 11 2022 at 9:00 am at IFN. We will also provide a dial-in