March 11, 2022 Ohio IX Meeting
Attendees: Nancy Tiemeier, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart, Doug Payauys, Rob Shema, Brian Riley, Brent Beatty, Matt Moran, Jason Gintert and Phil Maag
Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed
Secretary Report – Minutes Approved
Governance – N/A
Associate & Senior Member Applications –
Associate Membership – N/A
Senior Membership – Path Network, Inc. They do DDoS mitigation services. Jason talked about the company. They want a 100G connection and will pay optics and the higher membership fee. It was voted on and passed.
- Facebook provided a verbal commitment to connect
- Akamai wants to connect to us through Cleveland (H5)
- Have talked to Valve
- Microsoft cache – trying to build over the next few months
- Netflix cache is doing about 5Gbs
- Google is saying no to connecting at this point. The contact does not realize they are turning up in Columbus
- Discussed Accent Event
- Will reschedule first Happy Hour for April timeframe
- Discussed Marketing Doc that can be done for the broadband funds. Nancy knows someone that did this for the Fairgrounds and used to work for the State of Ohio. Will set up call with her
Tech Committee / CTO Report
- Our traffic peaked at 16.4 Gbps
- New route servers are up and running – They are upgraded and patched
- Jason talked to Andrew Doolittle from Designer Brands, and they should be peering by the end of the month.
- Akamai wants to connect from Cleveland with 100 G connection. Discussed current connections and also discussed Fairlawn Gig as possible connection point.
- Everstream still not connected. Following up with Chuck Girt
- We need to sign the order with Veeam – will be sold through Integrated Network Concepts. Jason can sign. Also need to acquire equipment that was budgeted for. Have looked at an online provider.
- We need to bill Amazon for the optics
- The NDA with Apple is signed. We may be one of the 1st to cache with them. It is a new program they are starting.
- The patch panel space is running low, may need to purchase another one by Fall.
Old / New Business
- Discussion on Ohio IX’s procedures related to disconnecting – code of regulations spells out termination of membership for non-payment of annual dues, other dues, and “all other reasons”. We have been gracious with past due accounts, and we need to tighten up our procedures. Discussion on a possible lack of communication between those receiving dues invoices from Ohio IX and those that are responsible for maintaining connectivity. In some cases, a past due member operating a remote switch could affect connectivity of other members in good standing connected to that remote switch, so that disconnect will need to be communicated to all involved. Brent will be spearheading a clear disconnect process that involves both our accounting and network resources to ensure clear communication and continuity of efforts to help keep our members fully connected and in good standing.
- Broadband Ohio – We need to put thoughts into it and put some information together. Jason will put a document on Google Docs so we can start putting down information that can be used for the 2-page document that we want to provide to Peter. Will also put information together on schools and remote areas that we are servicing.
- Global Virtual Internet Exchange – Megaport and Cogent which are strong in Ohio. We could do a private VLAN to other fabrics. Both charge for data transfer. Jason talked to Cogent – no port charge; they use the 95th percentile and charge $.10/Mbps. We would be listed in their exchange. Need to more information. Megaport – free port and fixed price/Mbps
- Networking events – Happy Hour in April. Also discussed sponsoring the next NNUG event this summer.
- Annual Meeting will be in August this year. Discussed doing it again at Top Golf. With everyone planning events now that things have eased with covid, we want to try and get it reserved now. Brent is going to check on available dates in August.
Next meeting – April 8 2022 at 9:00 am at Aunalytics. We will also provide a dial-in