Ohio Ix

December 1, 2022, Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Doug Payauys, Brent Beatty, Jason Gintert, Brian Riley, Luke Skidmore, Rob Shema, Josh Rowe, Vonda Dilley, Matt Moran, Lee Rutherford

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Governance – FCC mapping is out now, asking residents if they are getting speeds that have been reported.

Associate & Senior Member Applications – Omni Fiber for senior membership.  They were discussed, voted and approved.

Content Committee

  • Breezeline – interested in offloading customer traffic.  Matt is working with them
    • MICE – Brent talked to them – wants to discuss connecting to the IX – have content. Looking at around 19ms between sites.  Brent would support 10G of transport.  Will discuss further with them after 1st of the year
    • Apple cache should be here by end of the month
    • Facebook is up – starting to set up routes
    • Meta – they have a special form that takes peering.db information
    • Discussed sending out email to members on how to connect to Facebook, Cloudflare etc
    • Spectrum has peered with HE in Cleveland


  • Broadband Alliance meeting is Dec 13th at State of Ohio Library at 274 E 1st Ave from 1:00 to 3:00.  Have 15 minutes to discuss what the IX is in simple terms and benefits.  Need to submit slides by December 9th.  We will meet next week to finalize slides/presentation.
  • Marty from Deep Edge would join the committee
  • If needed, Brent will meet with Jeff Waddell and prospective members prior to the Happy Hour in Cincinnati
  • Marketing company, Brent provided information, will reach out. 

Tech Committee / CTO Report

  • The committee meets every other Tuesday if anyone wants to join. 
  • Replacing discs and working on maintenance.
  • Jason recognized Matt for helping to monitor the network and traffic spikes and Josh Rowe for helping with the website.  Dustin Wright providing 100G transport and support and Aaron Slotness for his help
  • Discussed moving the website to marketing firm at some point


Hit 149Gbps on November 16th!

Averaging 80-150G at peak
-Port Inventory
-40/100G Ports – 17 of 64 – 27% Utilization
-1/10G Ports – 55 of 96 – 57% Utilization – If 100G ports, 20% Utilization

-40/100G Ports – 3 of 32 – 9% Utilization
-1/10G Ports – 1 of 116 – 1% Utilization

-40G – 0 of 2 – 0% Utilization
-1/10G Ports – 2 of 32 – 6% Utilization
-Gear to purchase
-4 x 100G FS.com Optics – $500/ea = $2000
-10 x Western Digital Red 1TB SSDs – $110/ea = $1100
-5 x Arista 7280SE-64 (48 x 10G, 4 x 40G) – $1500/ea = $7500

Facebook is up as of 11/17!

Interest from: CATO and WV-IX

There was a motion – Approve to purchase 5 switches, disc drives, and optics for $10,600 before the end of the year.  This was voted and approved.

10G optics, disc drives, DL360 servers – will allow us to control the equipment for remote switch locations.

Old / New Business

  • Press releases related to growth, members, CDN’s etc.  We discussed buying a bundle (good deals for end of the year).   A motion was made to purchase a package of PR not to exceed the 2022 marketing budget.  It was voted and approved.  We will buy it this year and use next year.
  • Website makeover and updates – the site needs revamped.  Nancy knows a company that could help – will schedule a call for the 1st of the year.  Need to rebuild logo with vector graphics
  • Government Committee – Discussed setting up a new committee to stay on top of new funds and opportunities as well as connecting with municipalities.  A motion was made to set up this new committee,  It was voted and approved.   Will work on getting someone to head the committee.
  • Ohio IX Announce and Ohio IX Discuss mailing lists.  Announce – outgoing only; provides minutes and other outward information.  Discuss – encourages discussion.  They are integrated with IXP Manager. 
  • We need a database with all contacts – merge accounting information to IXP Manager
  • Audit of free cross connects – 10 free cc.   did audit, can remove some and reuse. A motion was made to allow Fairlawn Gig to have a free cc since they are providing transport the IX.  This was voted and approved.  They provide transport at no charge and want to separate their transport traffic and IX traffic.

Next meeting – Friday, January 6th at 9:00 at Cologix