Ohio Ix

January 6, 2023, Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Doug Payauys, Brent Beatty, Jason Gintert, Brian Riley, Rob Shema, Josh Rowe, Matt Moran, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam, Aaron Holtz, Duane Powell, Tim Berelsman, Martin Hannigan

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved 

Governance – 

  • Broadband Ohio has a lot of money right now, would be a good time to ask.  We still need letters of support.  We need to understand our ask and have a discussion on what we could ask funding for (transport, IRU).  Discussed talking to Peter to see what they would be willing to fund. Possibly hire someone to build and manage.
  • Want to establish a Government Committee – work to better interface with Peter and other Government entities and help with funding opportunities.  Also work with local municipalities. Rob Shema and Mark Crosten will participate on the committee.  A motion was made to make Duane Powell head up this committee.  It was voted and passed.  
  • Suggested meeting with Broadband Access Ohio (Duane and Greg are members)

Next meeting – Friday, February 3rd at 9:00 at City of Hilliard – 3800 Municipal Way, Hilliard.  Changing meetings to an hour and a half.


  1. FCB Deposit- – $1,781.36
  2. Renewal fees from:
    • Metalink
    • ValTech
    • Wan Dynamics
    • Arista
    • CISP
    • GeoStar
    • altafiber

Associate & Senior Member Applications – Information & Communications Services for senior membership.  They were discussed, voted and approved with stipulation that they need to provide transport back to Cologix.

Content Committee

  • Talking to Edge cast.  
  • Will focus on Microsoft and Google this year
  • Focus on carriers / entities in Cleveland and Cincinnati that have shown interest.


  • Had an end of year meeting in December with get together after.  Had a nice turn out
  • Ordered 8 press releases in December to be used in 2023.
  • Brent purchased cloth ware that we can give out / sell to members
  • Brian and Brent did a great job presenting at the last Broadband Ohio meeting – Was a lot of interest.  Following up with those and will try to present at another meeting in 2023.  May try to get the list of attendees and try a happy hour to get a chance to talk with them more.

Tech Committee / CTO Report

  • January 2023 Updates
    – 143Gbps on December 25
    – Avg over 100G at peak
    – Port Inventory
    – Columbus
    – 40/100G Ports – 17 of 64 – 27% Utilization
    – 1/10G Ports – 55 of 96 – 57% Utilization – If 100G ports, 20% Utilization
    – Cleveland
    – 40/100G Ports – 3 of 32 – 9% Utilization
    – 1/10G Ports – 1 of 116 – 1% Utilization
    – Cincinnati
    – 1/10G Ports – 2 of 32 – 6% Utilization
    – Major disk failure on vm host #1 on 12/6. Services never went down to members if they are homed to both route servers. We restored critical services like IXPM to host #2 thanks to Veeam backups with Integrated. 
    – Notified of DDoS amplification attacks to Amazon via a couple of members. Able to identify and trace thanks to arista CloudVision.
    – Apple caches arrived 12/20 and Marijan racked. We need power cables which I brought today.
    – The OmniFiber port is active and in quarantine as of 12/31
    – Purchased and received 
    – 5 x Arista switches for remote switches
    – 4 x 100G optics
    – Patch panels

Old / New Business 

  • Code of Regulations – Need a group to work on.  We will need 2/3 of the group to vote to make a change.  Nancy, Brent, Jason and Greg will work on reviewing and recommending updates.
  • Remote Switch rework – Need to make changes to the remote switch and the management of the switches.  We need to make changes to the agreement.  Matt, Jason and Marijan will work on updating the agreement.
  • Press Release – Discussed how to use the purchased press releases.  Would like to do them every other month.  Would like to focus on Southeast Ohio companies, Apple cache (need to get their approval).  Will get with Michelle Gatchell to see cost for her to write them.
  • Website – Need to redo the website.  Want more graphing, a FAQ section for technical questions.  Also need to have our logo redone in format for marketing.  Have a call with potential company after this meeting.
  • Member and Prospect Engagement – Talked to Jeff Waddell for next happy hour in Cincinnati area.  Looking at February 23rd.  Will hold it at Aaron’s bar.  He will send us information on the location.

Meeting adjourned.  

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier