April 2023 Board Meeting
April 7th, 2023, Ohio IX Meeting
Attendees: Nancy Tiemeier, Doug Payauys, Brent Beatty, Jason Gintert, Matt Moran, Luke Skidmore, Greg Dunn, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, and Vonda Dilley
Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed
Secretary Report – Minutes Approved
Governance – No updates. Doug will provide changes to the code of regulations to review.
Next meeting – Friday, May 5th at 9:00 to 10:30 at Cologix
Associate and Senior Member Applications – Application from Cyrus One. They have an interest in being a remote switch in Cincinnati. We have an NDA in place- still talking about what it would look like. They will need to provide transport and will need to sign the remote switch agreement. We moved to approve them as a Senior Member pending payment. It was seconded and approved.
Government – Brent suggested talking to Paul and having a video played on the IX at their meetings.
Broadband Ohio will conduct in-person listening sessions and live webinars to support updates to the state’s broadband strategy and the development of a comprehensive plan to close the digital divide.
- April 4 – Toledo
- April 5 – Nonprofits and Community Organizations Webinar
- April 6 – Findlay
- April 12 – Ohio Residents Webinar
- April 13 – Cleveland
- April 20 – Youngstown
- More information here:
Things Happening around the State of Ohio
- Ohio TT: Building new towers to close the internet gap – Ohio TT of Zanesville is working on a $5 million broadband project with Coshocton County Commissioners to get service to 15,000 residents.
2. NTIA awards $25.7M for tribal broadband, altafiber expands in Ohio – A new partnership between altafiber and Warren County, Ohio, will see Cincinnati Bell’s altafiber build a fiber network to roughly 52,000 residences, including 50,000 single-family homes and 2,000 multi-dwelling units.
3. AWS brings free fiber-optic training to Ohio – The certificate course is offered by AWS and Ohio’s Office of Workforce Transformation (OWT), local employers, and educational organizations.
4. AEP Ohio proposes rural broadband projects in eight southeast Ohio counties – AEP Ohio is proposing rural broadband projects in eight southeast Ohio counties that could have a dual purpose to lease excess capacity to internet service providers. Counties impacted would be Washington, Meigs, Athens, Hocking, Jefferson, Morgan, Perry, and Vincent.
5. Canton Moving Forward on Major Broadband Fiber Initiative – There’s a plan that could bring high-speed internet to every household in the city. This ordinance builds the “backbone” to that system, running fiber up and down major streets.
- Had a call with a caching company and Cyrus One
- Brent applied for Google Cache to go through IX
- Discussed using open cache server for open content which we could approve or deny (Quilt, IFN, Egio)
- Want to explore new power options at Cologix. There was a motion to look at additional power options at Cologix. This was voted and approved.
- Press Release sent on March 29th. Chris Tovar wrote the copy. Want to check to see who picked it up. The next one will be the end of May.
- Next Happy Hour around May 18th in Athens.
- Website – should have something to look at in mid-April.
- New Tech Committee Members: Cal Cook from ARISTA & Phillip Schwartz from EVERSTREAM
- Will be ramping them up and getting them familiar with network
- Activated King Networks
- Built out Cato in IXP Manager, sent them LOA/CFA
- Scheduled upgrade/patch Arista switches & route servers on May 4th
- All hosts running Ubuntu 18.04 to upgraded throughout April
- Moved all spare equipment into storage unit
- Need to put lock box on storage unit
- 159Gbps peak on Wednesday 3/15
- Port Inventory
- 40/100G Ports -19 of 64 – 29% Utilization
- 1/10G Ports – 53 of 96 – 55% Utilization
- 40/100G Ports – 3 of 32 – 9% Utilization
- 1/10G Ports – 1 of 116 – 1% Utilization
- 1/10G Ports – 2 of 32 – 6% Utilization
- Newsletter sent for review
- Started working with Slantics on new site
- Signed CyrusOne NDA
- Spoke with Netskrt on getting a cache
- Brent got a Google cache and will be exploring moving to us
- Brent also discovered deploying an Edge.io cache is self service like the Microsoft cache so we are exploring that
- Are SFN actually stil going to connect?
- Cato Networks is using HE for transport and HE will be acquiring the cross connect to meet with us
Old / New Business
- Geostar – additional 10G port request – There was a motion to grant a 2nd port to Geostar to use. This was voted and approved.
- Website Makeover – The are working on the website and are shooting to have something for us to review the week of April 24th.
- Cross Connect Pre-Pay option & Contract – This was tabled for a future meeting.
- Annual Meeting Planning and Date – Looking at July 27th at Top Golf. Brent checking with them to see if this date is available.