May 5, 2023 – Ohio IX Board Meeting
Attendees: Doug Payauys, Brent Beatty, Jason Gintert, Luke Skidmore, Greg Dunn, Chris Cameron, Kim Gerhart, Rob Shema, Josh Rowe, and Vonda Dilley
Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed
Secretary Report – Minutes Approved
Next meeting – Friday, June 16 at 9:00 to 10:30 at Cologix
· Member fees from:
o Omni Fiber
Member Dues Outstanding
- Designer Brands, Inc.
- enfoPoint Solutions
- Everstream Solutions LLC
- Hurricane Electric (HE)
- Integrated Networks
- Kenneth G. Myers Constructions Co., Inc.
- Medina County Fiber (Lit Communities)
- OneIT, Inc.
- Racksquared LLC
- Setson LLC
- Smart Way Communications LLC
- Southern Fibernet Corp.
- Waddell Solutions Group LL
- Watch Communications
Governance – Greg shared that a proposed bill would set up a state fund to pay up to $7500 for extensive utility pole make-ready where fiber needs to be installed by a service provider but is considered cost-prohibitive.
Senior Member Application: Cloud Propeller, Inc. – discussion on their business; motion to approve as senior member pending payment from Brent, second from Luke
Content Sourcing Report:
- Google has been quiet about the caching server; this is our 4th application with them and nothing is happening (yet again); Jason reached out to Pitt IX since they were successful in getting one; Brent is going to go back to the Google application process and try to move it forward again.
- Edge.io and Netskrt caches need some prep and installation assistance to move them forward; Brent offered to provide assistance
Marketing Committee Report:
- Nothing set up for a May happy hour event
- Looking to June for our next happy hour given schedules; Vonda will reach out to Ryan Collins for assistance with getting people there once we pick a date; suggestions for Jackie O’s Brewery or Devil’s Kettle Brewing.
- Nancy is working with Michelle on our website rework; Jason prepared technical FAQs for use on the site
- Discussion that the next press release should be at the end of May and probably will highlight the annual meeting
- OTA meeting happening the week of May 7; Vonda offered to prospect for new members and include Ohio IX information at Horizon’s booth
Technical Committee Report:
- Arista switch upgraded on 5/4
- Upgraded all but two Ubuntu servers; IXP Manager server needs an upgrade but will probably be done on a new server
- Microsoft cache upgrade – 10 Gbps before and 17 Gbps after upgrade
- Looking at adding a NetGeo cache
- Netskrt – may ship us a cache
- FairlawnGig – offered to act as our redundant backup site
- Need power upgrade at Cologix and then need to upgrade/add PDUs
- While performing maintenance, realized that we need some upgrades to out-of-band access (expect a budget request)
- Amazon – 100G finally transitioning on their ports
- Peaked 169 Gbps on 4/30/2023
- Newsletter to members went out last month
- OhioIX.net’s new website is almost complete
- Cato Networks – needed legal review, so slower to connect that expected; Hurricane is ordering XC for their connection
- CloudFlare – traffic or peering issues? (might need to check with Jason’s notes on this)
- GeoStar – working with Bresco to add their 10G increase since transport will saturate the remote switch connection
- CyrusOne – there may have been some changes to personnel there and our previous contact, Ben Hedges, no longer handles the remote switch discussions; we are picking back up on a new update to the Remote Switch Operator Agreement as a group.
- Document review – Code of Regulations, Remote Switch Operator Agreement – Brent to set up virtual meeting on 5/19 for the group to review needed changes and then send draft Code off to Greg.
- Annual meeting set for Thursday, July 27th at 11 AM. Meeting will take place from 11 AM to Noon. Golf bays and lunch from 12 PM – 2 PM; set to accommodate 60 people, but can edit totals up to a week before the event and can support up to 100.