Ohio Ix

September 1, 2023 – Ohio IX Board Meeting

Attendees:  Doug Payauys, Brent Beatty, Nancy Tiemeier, Jason Gintert, Rob Shema, Matt Moran, Josh Rowe, Luke Skidmore, Aaron Holtz and Chris Tovar

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved 

Next meeting – October 6, 2023 – Cologix

Governance Report

The code of regulations were changed so the member classed are streamlined

Associate and Senior Membership Applications – n/a

Government Committee

Discussed meeting with Peter Voderberg late September or early October.  We need to keep things simple to understand and defendable.  Discuss funds still available.  May want to include Brian Gorenflo from Westerville

Content Sourcing

Continuing to reach out to the companies he has been working on.  Breezeline and Momentum may join in the next 60 days.  Brent is making headway with Google cache; may have connectivity in next 90 days.

Marketing Committee

  • Edgio is working
  • Chirs is working on next Press Release – hoping to be ready next week
  • Happy Hour in Athens will be September 28th.  We all need to share the link and promote the event.  Will reach out to Ryan Collins to help get people there
  • Need to make sure we don’t call Content providers members; they have a different arrangement

Technical Committee

Both route servers have been patched

Petar Smilajkov from Cloud Propeller has given us free access to his Veeam backup infra. Going to start to look into what it will take to migrate.

Cal Cook from Arista is going to help us tune queue drops that are happening on the port to Cinci Bell

Calvin Kane from Arista has created an automation script that will make onboarding new members much easier. It will automatically program switch ports based on their state in IXP Manager.

Edg.io/Edgecast port assigned in Columbus, optic received and cross connect landed. Working on turning up port now

Edg.io/Limelight Networks (different AS) may wish to have a port in Cleveland as well – We need to check with Dustin since he is providing the transport.

Brent made a motion – Provide Limelight free peering for one year in Cleveland if they provide open peering and will be contingent of Edgecast turnup and approval from Dustin Wright.  They was seconded, voted on and approved.

Identified latency is high on transport to Cleveland which is affecting Akamai traffic. Dustin notified and working on.

Cato Networks in quarantine and testing

Amazon migration to 100G ports from 2 x 20G ports is complete

Spoke with WRC & Momentum about connecting


Software upgrades drastically improved performance of Microsoft cache and we are maxing out NICs. Would like to upgrade to 2 x 40G interfaces, $600

Installation of PDUs coming soon to terminate new 30A ckts

Will allow for Netskrt cache to get installed

A motion was made to allow the Technical committee to purchase dual 40G interfaces and physical firewalls.  They have up to $5000 to spend.  This was seconded, voted and approved.

CTO Report

189Gbps peak on Tuesday August 29th

Port Inventory


40/100G Ports -20 of 64 – 31% Utilization

1/10G Ports – 51 of 96 – 53% Utilization


40/100G Ports – 3 of 32 – 9% Utilization

1/10G Ports – 1 of 116 – 1% Utilization


1/10G Ports – 2 of 32 – 6% Utilization

Treasurer Report

Member Dues Outstanding:

  • enfoPoint Solutions
  • Everstream Solutions LLC
  • Medina County Fiber (Lit Communities)
  • Racksquared LLC
  • Setson LLC
  • Smart Way Communications LLC
  • Watch Communications

New/Old Business:

  • Charter/Spectrum Peering – Discussed allowing them to peer with the IX.  They are connecting to a lot of IX’s now.  They are willing to pay for optic and cross connect but can’t pay membership.  They would not connect to our route servers, 10796 network.   A motion was made to all a 6 month free connection to Spectrum and work on language for non-member connectivity.  The expectation is that they will peer with any member that requests it.  This was seconded, voted and approved.
  • enfoPoint/ITSavvy – they are not going to renew
  • Annual meeting review – Everyone felt the meeting went well.  We had some Associate members that don’t want to vote.  We will put a proxy in place that allows them to abstain from voting.
  • Code of Regulations – We discussed putting together a Code of Conduct for what we can and can’t do.  Would like it to be ready by the first of the year.  Doug asked for members to be part of a special committee to create.  The committee will be Josh, Luke, Brent, Jason and Doug.

Meeting adjourned


Nancy Tiemeier