November 12, 2020 Ohio IX Meeting
Attendees: Nancy Tiemeier, Marijan Adam, Luke Skidmore, Doug Payauys, Greg Dunn, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley
Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed
Secretary Report – Minutes Approved
Governance – Greg talked to Denis Walsh regarding joining the IX. It was suggested that the Technical committee and the content sourcing committee get together to put a case together.
Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications
Content Sourcing –
- Amazon connected but no traffic yet. Can request to peer with them and can do that through the IXP manager.
- Discussed sending information to members to let them know and sending a link to information on the IXP Manager.
- Todd Jackson joined the committee
- ONUG meeting is December 10th featuring Cologix. We will send something out to members
- Jason G put together a blog post for companies.
- Nancy talked to OTA President Charles Moses to partner on marketing the two groups. She invited him to join a board meeting to learn more about it. She will follow up with him.
- Proposed using Arista equipment (they provide a program where they provide equipment to
- IX’s ). Jason put together some information which will be attached to these minutes. Advantages include more ports, more mature platform and more redundancy. Provides 40 and 100G We will have much deeper buffers and less packet drops. Would help to automate everything in the IXP Manager. The support contract would be $8900 a year with the first payment 14 months from now. The budget would come from member fees. We would also have $1100 support for Juniper. We currently have 21 senior members and 12 Associate members so have the funds to cover the cost. Brent feels this is the direction we need to go to grow. There was a motion to go forward with Arista proposal. The motion was seconded and passed. They would like to do a press release as well.
- They set up the route collector.
- They talked to Starry and GTT
- Amplex provided a /24 to the IX so we can host more servers, get more traffic and a new transit network. If anyone is interested in using this, let them know.
- Traffic is steady around 9 Gbps
- H5 is looking to set up a remote switch
- Involta wants a second IP – checking to see if can be done on one port.
Old / New Business
- Peering – We want to protect the IX from accepting members that may harm the IX. Discussed looking at by-laws to see if we can control who joins. Per Greg Dunn, we don’t need to change the by-laws at this time.
- H5 is working on connecting. There are some companies showing interest connecting through them.
- Past due membership
- No holiday party due to covid. We discussed sending some type of package out to members. The marketing committee will discuss.
We will have the next meeting on Thursday, December 10th at 9:30. Conference Bridge will be sent.