January 2021 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Luke Skidmore,  Doug Payauys, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley, Matt Moran, Mark Robinson (enfoPoint)

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Governance – N/A

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing –

  • Reached out to Google and Netflix. Still working with both of them
  • Matt Moran will reach out to Microsoft
  • Facebook does do cache servers, we should re-look at working with them. They are bringing in  a lot of fiber in the area

Marketing Committee

  • The online store is setup and ready to go. We need to get the credits (gift certificate) out to everyone.  Chris will send the link to the board members.
  • Was moved that board members that are Associate members should get the $100 credit for all the work they have done. This was seconded and approved.
  • ONUG presentation went well, 35 to 40 attendees. There was good feedback on the presentation by Adam and Jason.  They are putting a video together that can be used to share information on the IX
  • Let the committee know if you are doing any in person events as the year goes on to determine if we want to participate

Tech Committee

  • Matt Moran has joined the committee
  • CentraCom is peering again.  They had an issue which we helped to resolve
  • Adam worked with Kim to streamline the application and technical questionnaire
  • Starry is now online – they had issues with their Cisco routers and BGP.
  • US Signal cross connect needs to be completed
  • Integrated Network Concepts waiting on H5 to connect
  • There has been some peering with Amazon. They are putting together peering information that we can send out to go over how to best peer with Amazon.  Will discuss with Marketing committee to get the information out.
  • We are consistently hitting over 10G in traffic. A year ago it was 1G!
  • Automating the IXP Manager into the route servers. Need to work with H5 to get their circuit up for the remote switch.

Old / New Business

  • Budget Development – Committees should let Doug know what they feel they will need this year. Please provide by next month’s meeting.
  • Nancy will send Doug the membership list
  • Remote Switch Agreement – Would like more specific information added. Items to discuss:
    • On ramp for the IX, not a representative of the IX
    • Requirement of membership, should they pay to be a member
    • No SLA available
    • Liability clause
    • Possible to sign that they are aware connecting through a remote switch

This will be discussed first with the technical committee and present a draft at the next meeting.

We will have the next meeting on Thursday, February 11th at 9:30.  Conference Bridge will be sent.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

November 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

November 12, 2020 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Nancy Tiemeier, Marijan Adam, Luke Skidmore,  Doug Payauys, Greg Dunn, Adam Kujawski, Jason Gintert, Kim Gerhart, Todd Jackson, Rob Shema, Brent Beatty, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Governance – Greg talked to Denis Walsh regarding joining the IX. It was suggested that the Technical committee and the content sourcing committee get together to put a case together.

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing –

  • Amazon connected but no traffic yet. Can request to peer with them and can do that through the IXP manager.
  • Discussed sending information to members to let them know and sending a link to information on the IXP Manager.

Marketing Committee

  • Todd Jackson joined the committee
  • ONUG meeting is December 10th featuring Cologix. We will send something out to members
  • Jason G put together a blog post for companies.
  • Nancy talked to OTA President Charles Moses to partner on marketing the two groups. She invited him to join a board meeting to learn more about it.  She will follow up with him.

Tech Committee

  • Proposed using Arista equipment (they provide a program where they provide equipment to
  • IX’s ).  Jason put together some information which will be attached to these minutes. Advantages include more ports, more mature platform and more redundancy.  Provides 40 and 100G    We will have much deeper buffers and less packet drops.  Would help to automate everything in the IXP Manager.  The support contract would be $8900 a year with the first payment 14 months from now.  The budget would come from member fees.  We would also have $1100 support for Juniper.  We currently have 21 senior members and 12 Associate members so have the funds to cover the cost.  Brent feels this is the direction we need to go to grow.  There was a motion to go forward with Arista proposal.  The motion was seconded and passed.  They would like to do a press release as well.
  • They set up the route collector.
  • They talked to Starry and GTT
  • Amplex provided a /24 to the IX so we can host more servers, get more traffic and a new transit network. If anyone is interested in using this, let them know.

 CTO

  • Traffic is steady around 9 Gbps
  • H5 is looking to set up a remote switch
  • Involta wants a second IP – checking to see if can be done on one port.

Old / New Business

  • Peering – We want to protect the IX from accepting members that may harm the IX. Discussed looking at by-laws to see if we can control who joins.  Per Greg Dunn, we don’t need to change the by-laws at this time.
  • H5 is working on connecting. There are some companies showing interest connecting through them.
  • Past due membership
  • No holiday party due to covid. We discussed sending some type of package out to members.  The marketing committee will discuss.

We will have the next meeting on Thursday, December 10th at 9:30.  Conference Bridge will be sent.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

November 2019 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees: Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Marijan Adam, Adam Kujawski, Phil Maag, Brian Riley, Greg Dunn, Chris Cameron, Luke Skidmore, Jason Pontious

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Governance – Greg looked at the language regarding dues and said we should be ok to prorate existing customers to cover costs they have already paid versus the new membership fee.

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications

Content Sourcing 

  • Talked to Twitch and Wow.
  • Waddell and Cincy Bell want to be a remote switch, Brent has a meeting with them December 10th.
  • Adam and Brent talked with some at Nanog including Fastly. They will connect in a few weeks and are looking at 2 ports.
  • Bresco was approved with Google to cache and can share some with the IX.
  • Adam is talking to Ohio Telecom who are a CISP

CTO

  • First route servers have been switched. The second one will be done this week.
  • Looking to do a hard cutover over Thanksgiving. They will notify members 1-2 weeks ahead of time.
  • Again asked that everyone list themselves with Peeringdb. We will send letters to members that have not done so. This helps for people to find us and help to gain interest for new members
  • Cloudflare is not announcing to the servers but is to Adam. That is their policy. Need to contact them directly to peer and must be in Peering db

Marketing Committee

  • Following companies are interested – WeConnect, MadeIT, Fairlawn Gig and Zip Communications. Still working with them.

Old / New Business

Membership subcommittee pricing discussion – We need to track how much existing members have paid so we know when to start billing them the $1000 a year fee.

HE’s agreement comes up in April so we need to start discussions on how want to renew.

Gtt is now available on the IX. They are connected thru a VLAN – NNI with Bresco. This is the first step and if enough interest they will consider moving directly to the IX.

 

Next meeting December 10th at the Beer Barrel in Plain City at 2:30. This will be our end of year meeting / celebration.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

October 2019 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees: Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Marijan Adam, Adam Kujawski, Phil Maag, Brian Riley, Tim Berelsman, Greg Dunn

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Governance – Greg informed us that Shelby has left the firm.

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing

CTO

  • Switching out PDUs
  • Working on configurations on the temporary route server
  • Going to switch route servers to our control this month
  • Traffic is increasing

Marketing Committee

Old / New Business – NA

Next meeting November 8th at NetGain.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

August 2019 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees: Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Marijan Adam, Adam Kujawski, Jason Pontious, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag, Brian Riley, Tim Berelsman

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Governance – n/a

Treasurer’s Report – Kim was unable to attend, she will update in the September meeting.

Associate & Senior Member Applications –

Senior application – City of Hilliard, application approved

Content Sourcing

CTO

  • Weekly calls have been beneficial.
  • The new hardware has arrived, looking to start installing. Get equipment talking next week and the software the following week. The switch will be have that and then the patch panel.
  • Still no word from OARnet on the route servers, may just transition to the new ones. They are the NOC today but looking to take that back over. We need to decide how want to handle it and may need to purchase a service to monitor it and be the NOC.

Marketing Committee

Old / New Business

Membership Discussion – At the last Board meeting, we assigned a sub-committee to look at our membership dues and make a recommendation for going forward.  After much discussion, this is what we feel would good for the group and our potential members.

Senior Membership – $1000 initially and $1000 a year (1 or 10G port)

Senior Membership – $2500 initially and $2500 a year (40G port if available)

Senior Membership – $4000 initially and $4000 a year (100G port if available.  This is more for future but wanted it included)

Associate Membership – $500 initially and $500 a year

We also felt it would be good to provide about 10% of the switch ports (not including ports on remote switches managed by IX members) pro bono for Government or Strategic accounts that would either help us to bring in new members or traffic.  All of these members would be reviewed once a year to confirm we should continue them for the next year or if we need to cancel this benefit since we didn’t get the result that we anticipated.  We could make that percentage higher based on the potential of the requested member.

If a member signed up for membership the 3rd Quarter of the year, they would pay 50% of the membership and if they signed up in the 4th Quarter of the year they would pay 25%.  This would encourage members to join throughout the year and not make the administration of it too difficult.  This would make membership renewals all be due at the same time every year.

We will continue discussions at the next meeting.

Next meeting September 6th at NetGain.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

July 2019 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees: Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart, Marijan Adam, Adam Kujawski, Greg Dunn, Jason Pontious, Chris Cameron, Phil Maag

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Governance – n/a

Treasurer’s Report

Associate & Senior Member Applications – No new applications

Content Sourcing –

  • Brent is discussing with Netflix and gtt.
  • Still talking to Waddell Solutions

CTO

  • The new switch is in the cabinet with 4 Gig modules. They have also delivered patch panels and cables.
  • We were looking to take over management from OARnet but had issues with the route servers. This is still the goal but got delayed. We are still working towards it.
  • Traffic is hitting 1 Gig consistently and occasionally hitting 5 Gig.

Marketing Committee

Old / New Business

  • The committee is going to get together to discuss ideas for the cost structure.
  • Tim is still acting as part of ComNet

Next meeting August at Cologix at 9:30

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

April 2019 Ohio IX Meeting

April 10, 2019 (After the Annual Meeting)

Attendees: Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis, Luke Skidmore, Marijan Adam, Nancy Tiemeier, Phil Maag, Jason Pontious, Brian Riley, Brent Beatty,

Election of Officers

The following members were re-elected as officers of the Ohio IX

  • Tim Berelsman – Chairman
  • Doug Payauys – Vice Chairman
  • Kim Gerhart – Treasurer
  • Nancy Tiemeier – Secretary
  • CTO – Marijan Adam

 

The next meeting will be May 10th at 9:30 at NetGain

Meeting Adjourned

Respectfully Submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

2019 Annual Meeting for Ohio IX

April 10, 2019, Top Golf Event Center

The meeting was called to order by Tim Berelsman

Recording of the Members Present – completed

  • IFN – Tim Berelsman
  • OARnet – Paul Schopis
  • OneIT – Mike Ward (Proxy for Kim Gerhart)
  • Huntington – Mike Holdcroft
  • Horizon – Steve Steele
  • Consolidated Electric – Doug Payauys
  • Washington Electric – Allen Casto
  • Bresco Broadband – Brent Beatty
  • Amplex – Brent Beatty (Proxy for Adam Kujawski)
  • MetaLink – Phil Maag
  • New Knoxville Telephone – Preston Meyer
  • Rack Squared – Josh Grabill
  • CentraCom – Jason Pontious
  • NetGain – Luke Skidmore
  • Cologix – Nancy Tiemeier

Approval of Prior Annual Meeting Minutes – Approved

Treasurers Report

Senior:

Involta in April 2018

Huntington Bank in April 2018

Racksquared in October 2018

 

Associate:

Medina County Fiber in April 2018

Washington Electric in September 2018

All tax and tax-exempt forms and reports have been filed for 2018.

 

Chairman’s Report

A group came together in 2015 at Cologix to put the Ohio IX together which started in 2016.

  • Goal to promote business interest and business communication
  • Working with Fastly and Cloudflare to turn up their network with the IX
  • Testing with MegaPort
  • In 2018 we elected Board Members with staggered starts
  • Jason Pontious and Phil Maag were filling in for positions on the board vacated by prior members
  • In 2019 we have added Amplex as a new Senior member and added ValTech and Stetson as Associate Members
  • There are no new membership fees for 2019 for existing members. New members to the Ohio IX will still pay the standard $3150 for Senior Membership and $500 for Associate.
  • We adopted a Remote Switch Operator Agreement to help reach additional members. You must be a Senior Member to be a Remote Switch Operator. A contract is available for interested members.

Election of Directors

The following Board Member’s term is up – Tim Berelsman, Steve Steele and Paul Schopis.

Nominations for the open positions: Tim Berelsman, Adam Kujawski and Brian Riley. All were elected by unanimous consent.

The following temporary positions were voted on and are now permanent positions – Jason Pontious from CentraComm and Phil Maag from MetaLink.

Other Business

No new business.

Closing Remarks

Brent Beatty and Doug Payauys discussed the benefits of the Ohio IX for attendees.

 

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully Submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

Secretary

October 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart, Greg Miller,  Phil Maag, Paul Schopis, Marijan Adam, Greg Dunn, Tim Berelsman, Chris Cameron

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – An application was received Rack Squared for Senior Membership.  This was voted on and approved.  Kim will send out an invoice.  No Associate Memberships at this time.

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – No traffic from Huntington yet.  Marijan will reach out if no traffic soon.  We had to renew our domains and completed it for multiple years.  Marijan will set up a link in Google Docs to track who we want to go after (who would like to peer with).

We currently have an aggregate usage on the exchange at 300Mg and have spiked as high as 600 Mg.

We discussed putting together a best practice document.  We should have something to refer to.  Marijan will put something together and work with Brent and Luke to review.  We will check with what AMS uses.

Marketing Committee

Governance – No report

Director Agreements and Conflict of Interest – Nancy is still waiting on Tim to review the existing documents and determine if any changes need to be make.  Tim will work on this for next meeting.

Old / New Business –  

Remote Switch Operator Addendum – We discussed how MICE goes through a process to approve remote switch operators.  To be a remote switch operator, you must be a senior member.  We need to clarify that operators are not making money off of the IX.  Tim will get the committee together for a final review of the contract so we can move forward.

High value targets – discussed what accounts we want to go after.  We talked about how we could connect with Megaport.  We will work on a survey to send to members as to what high level targets would benefit them.

Next meeting – November 9th – 9:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

2018 Membership Meeting

The 2018 Ohio IX, Inc. Annual Member Meeting will be Friday, April 13th, 2018 at 10:30am. The meeting will take place at Ice Miller, LLP located at 250 West St., 7th floor conference room, Columbus, OH.  Members have received full meeting details, including an agenda, in an Email on 4/6/18 at 7:15am from Tim Berelsman.

A luncheon will be served following the meeting. Please notify Ohio IX by Email to Secretary, Nancy Tiemeier. nancy.tiemeier@cologix.com.  The RSVP needs to be submitted no later than April 12, 2018, 5:00 PM with the number of persons who will be attending the meeting and the luncheon.