January 2017 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys,   Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson, Greg Dunn, Lynn Child, Brian Riley

Roll Call

Membership Applications – No new applications at this time.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

CTO Report – Customers that are turned up – IFN, Bresco, NetGain and OneIT.  We should have Horizon and CentraComm LOA’s this week.  We have sent an email to OARnet to ask about their LOA.  We are working on turning up CEC.

Discussed that everyone should be listed in peering.db.  Radb is another one we should like to join.

Governance Committee

Marketing Committee – We discussed the Press Release and when we want to send out.  The Marketing Committee will draft a press release for us to review.   Will have a draft for the next meeting.

Martini Media Group will talk at the beginning of the February meeting. They were the company that has helped us design our website.

Old Business

  1. OARnet Request for turn-up
  2. Call for Progress Reports on Prior Business Items (Tim) – no update

New Business – It was brought up that we should do an annual meeting in April.  Hopefully this will help to get new members as well.  We discussed doing an open house to help with recruiting.  We are looking at OARnet or Ice Miller to hold the event.  Also discussed getting sponsors to help with the cost.

Next meeting – February 9th at 1:30 at Cologix.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

December 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis,  Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson, Brad Scott, Steve Steele

Roll Call

Membership Applications – No new applications at this time.  Shelby is working on the formal policy for assignment and revocation of rights to Ohio IX cross connects.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

CTO Report – We have 3 active members:  NetGain, OneIT and Bresco.  CEC and IFN cross connects have been completed.  We are completing the turn up now.   We still need LOA’s from Horizon, CentraComm and OARnet.  Horizon is checking on the status of their LOA.  Allowing members with free cross connects until the end of January to connect to the IX without risk of losing their free cross connect.

Brent provided an SFP to test and some cable management for us to use.

Nick from OARnet is no longer there so will be working with someone else.

Brent is working with Eli from CEC on the questionnaire for the Welcome Letter.  This should be completed soon.

Marijan reminded everyone that they need to be registered with peering.db.

We need to look at Netflow stats in January.

Governance Committee – Still need BOD forms from Greg and Steve.  I will check to make sure we have not received them.  We need both forms from BlueBridge.

Once the budget is approved, we and apply for tax exemption status.  We will discuss in January.  The tax return is due in May; the tax exempt status form must be posted by then.  The application and determination will be posted to our website.

Marketing Committee – Brent looked into press release options.  E-Release looks to be one of the best options.  It also includes the PR newswire which is important.  We also discussed that the release dates are important.  We should wait until after the 1st of the year to get best exposure.  We want to make sure that the Wall Street is included in the release since that is looked at most.  Brent is going to forward the information to everyone.

Old Business – No updates

New Business – No new business

Next meeting – January 12th at 1:30 at Cologix.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

November 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis,  Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson, Brian Riley

Roll Call

Membership Applications – No new applications at this time.  Shelby still needs to get with Tim to discuss the formal policy for assignment and revocation of rights to Ohio IX cross connects.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

Treasurer’s Report  Invoice has been sent to Accent.  No expenses from this month.  We are still waiting on an invoice from OARnet which Paul will put together. We need to pay OARnet for the switch and optics as well as maintenance.

We need to decide if we want to purchase a back- up switch next year.  We can either wait until we need it (OARnet usually has them on hand) or if we are able we can go ahead and purchase so we already have it if needed.  We will look at finances for next year and decide what we want to do.

CTO Report – The fabric is live.  OneIT and Bresco are connected and peering.  We have 5 cross connects completed and waiting on LOA’s for the rest.  Marijan has provided information to IFN regarding peering.  OARnet is waiting on their router to go live in the South in the next couple weeks.  Multi-level peering is ready and routes are being exchanged.  The user interface is not ready yet.  What we wanted to use isn’t going to work, it is too automated.  We want members to be able to see at least 2 things: traffic on all ports and routes in the route servers.  May look at IXP Manager as read only.

Marijan would like to get some cable management for the cabinet.  Brent Beatty will provide a 2U cable management system for him to use.

We would like to find out what the cost is from OARnet for Optics.  There are other sources that provide less expensive optics.  Mark Fulmer from OARnet will provide us their price.  Could be a big savings to buy them elsewhere.  We would vet one first and if good can order more.  Fiber Store is source he has found and knows many people who use them.

We discussed some additional items for the Welcome Letter and Brent will update.

We are not using BGP due to issues.  They are working to correct it so we can start using.  This should be fixed in a few weeks.

We discussed that we want to make sure Marijan is getting the help he needs to move things forward.  Luke is willing to help on the technical piece.  He feels we are ok now but we wanted to make sure he knows that it isn’t all on his shoulders and we can help with whatever is needed.

We need to update peering db with the Ohio IX control.

Governance Committee – No updates at this time

Marketing Committee – The presentation and Leave Behind was sent out to everyone and is also stored on the shared drive.

Discussed who is sending out the Welcome Letter.  We need the information put into a Google Form and will create an account for them to be sent from.  Nancy will send them out when it is ready.  Marijan will help Nancy to get it set up with in Google.  Kim will provide an opening paragraph and Marijan will provide a link to Kim.

Kim has access to update the website through Word Press.  We need to make sure we are keeping the website updated and we are doing back-ups so no issues.  May need help from the technical committee.  Kim will look into it and let us know if she needs help.

We have put a member prospect list on the share drive.  We need all members to help and market and acquire new members.   If you have someone you are talking to, please add them to the spreadsheet so we can track it.  This will also help so no one is being contacted by multiple people.  Tim needs to add original prospects to the list.  Doug will send his list to Kim to add.  Marijan will contact Agile.

If anyone is going to shows let us know.  We can see if it is worth going or you can take information with you.  Keep us posted if you hear of any local events that are worth going to.  We can use press releases to let people know we are attending.

We need to do a press release to let people know that we are exchanging traffic.  Doug is going to check with Greg Dunn to see if we can use their PR wire service.

Brent suggested we may want to speak to groups to talk about the IX, can be small technology groups.  We need to use our connections to promote this.

 

Old Business – Doug is working on draft of the budget.  Please provide any budget dollars you think you need as soon as possible.

New Business – No new business

Next meeting – December 15th at 3:30 at Cologix, will go out after to celebrate the holidays.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

October 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis,  Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Steve Steele, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson, Brian Riley

Roll Call

Membership Applications – Accent Communications applied for an Associate Membership.  Doug provided a summary of their business.  They were approved.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

CTO Report – Bresco and OneIT  cross connects are done and plugging in to begin peering.  We have LOA’s for 5 of the cross connects.  Peering is being turned up.  We discussed the portal, it is working but not as good of a tool as we want.  We are continuing to work on it.  It was brought up that we will want training for the portal and peering. Marijan is putting a sheet together to explain peering.

We discussed that we need to decide what peering members will use/see – just your own or others.  Paul suggested that members should see everyone’s and that there needs to be trust with-in the membership.  Everyone agreed.

Governance Committee – Shelby discussed Form 1024 for tax exempt status.  With the bylaws, we have everything we need except for the financials.  We need to supply the budget which we are planning to work on in the next meeting.  We have no new BoD or Conflict of Interest Agreements.  Nancy will send an email out to those people that still need to submit their  agreements.

Marketing Committee – The new website is ready to go.  We rolled it out at the Columbus Connect.  The Leave Behind piece is complete which was also used at the show.  We have extras available for anyone that needs them.  We will keep the marketing information at Cologix and people can use as needed.  They are working on a presentation for board members to use when discussing the IX.

We are working on version of minutes that can be posted on the Internet.

Old Business –  No updates

New Business –  Declaration of Membership Dues.  Proposed Resolution – Declare Membership dues to remain at the same rates as 2016.  Furthermore declare that anyone that applied and was paid in full as of December 31, 2016 will have 100% of their payment carried forward and applied to their 2017 membership fee. This is no way waives Ohio IX’s right pursuant to the Bylaws to apply an assessment to the membership at any time in 2017 to cover financial shortfall.  We discussed this and felt due to the length of time it took to get everything turned up and ready, it was the fair thing to do for our members.  This was approved by the Board.

Doug discussed the need to start thinking about the budget for next  year.  Some of the things that must be included in the budget are the payment for the switch and spare to OARnet,  membership for ARIN ($500), Power costs and Marketing budget.  The Budget will be prepared for review for the November meeting.

Luke  made the request that we start putting together longer term goals with timelines. We don’t want the Exchange to plateau but want it to continue to grow.

Suggestion was made to get the Board together for a holiday celebration.

Next meeting – November 1st at 1:30 at Cologix

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

September 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Steve Steele, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore, Shelby Anderson

Roll Call

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved

CTO Report – The information has been sent to the founding members to get LOA information for the cross-connect.  Marijan is meeting with OARnet to integrate the IX Manager on Tuesday.  It will be automated.  They need to decide everything that they want automated.

Bi-Lateral Peering will be ready next week.  Multi-Lateral Peering will be available the following week.

We will allow 1 MAC address per port.  We can look at Jumbo Frame down the road.

Governance Committee – We received the Board of Directors form from Greg Dunn and the Conflict of Interest form from Brent Beatty.

Shelby looked into the sales tax issues and we are ok.  We need to start discussing the Not For Profit filing at the next meeting.

Marketing Committee – They received the Mock-up of the website and the new logo.   The content is being updated.  We will change the Leave Behind to match the changes on the website.  We will have available for the booth at the Columbus Connect event.

The booth needs to be manned.   Doug, Luke and Kim volunteered to help man the booth.

The Welcome Package needs to be put together.  It needs to list what is needed (transport/equipment).

Old Business

Insurance Application – No change, Tim has been getting quotes

Cologix MSA – still depends on insurance

HE – We still need to contact them

Mass Market –

Status of members joining DB – Ohio IX will be listed in DB.  Would like members to list in there as well.

No other update on Mass Market –

Document Sharing – Some members have used Slack for Forum.   We are checking into setting it up.  It can have a public and private side.  More information will be provided at the next meeting.

New Business –

Monthly membership status – No additional senior or associate members.

Strategic Plan – Tim suggested a mission and vision statement.  This is to be used for internal use only.  Doug suggested making the mission statement more simple.  He is going to draft some changes for our review.

Discussion on Timing / Need for Strategic Planning – tabled for now

We need to discuss budgeting for 2017 and fees for next year.

Next meeting – October 6, 2016 at 1:30 at Cologix.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

August 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys,  Paul Schopis, Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam, Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Steve Steele, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore, Brian Riley

Roll Call

Secretary Report – minutes approved

Old Business

Insurance Application still outstanding – have received a couple quotes.

Cologix MSA still dependent on establishing Insurance Coverage

Go Live Date – week of August 15th.  The hardware is installed.

Status on LOA information can be given to Nancy for the cross connects provided by the  Exchange – Marijan will work with Nancy and the members to get the information that is needed.  Marijan also needs the AS#,  IPs to be announced and MAC addresses.

Tim still needs to talk to Walt from HE.  He wanted to confirm how we were going to handle fees etc. 

Mass Market Content on the Exchange

Still working on.  Would like members to join peering db.com so others can see who is on the exchange.

Status on Microsoft Connectivity at two locations? – Brent may have to go another route with Microsoft since the exchange still isn’t active and they want to move forward.  Hopefully we can move to exchange in the future.

Netflow Study pending 10 Active Senior Members – Members should pull a report of total traffic before October meeting.  We will look at the top 5 connections for everyone.  Tim can help anyone who doesn’t have the software to pull themselves.

Document Sharing via Google for Board-Corporate

Board Members Active.  Information has been added.  If you would like access to the drive, forward Marijan a google email that he can add.  Information has been added to the google docs. The member information has also been added to the website.

New Business

Membership Status

10 Active Senior Members

New Senior Membership Application – NK Teleco.  Luke moved to approve, Kim seconded.  Motion passed.  We still need their AS#

Associate Member Status

2 Active Associate Members

Pending application from Cologix – approved Cologix to have Associate membership approved at no cost for the first year.  They have contributed a lot and aren’t in a position yet to be a senior member.

Committee Report(s)

Governance Committee

Went over outstanding BoD Conflict of Interest Statements and BoD Agreements.  Nancy will check with Kevin from Bluebridge on his forms.

Marketing Committee Report

Martini Marketing working with the committee on the web layout and branding of the exchange.  They are meeting next on August 9th.  They will push out the logo that is being proposed as well as the slick and presentation when complete.  They aren’t going to wait until the next meeting.

Columbus City is having a Fiber Forum on August 9th.  Brent is part of a panel discussion and will have a couple minutes to discuss IX.  Nancy, Kim and Doug are also planning to attend and can answer any questions.

Participation at Columbus Connect in September – we will have a table that has been donated by Cologix to promote the IX.  We plan to have new literature, etc for this event.

Brent Beatty is hoping to have a few minutes to promote the IX at the Columbus Smart City event in September.

Greg Dunn discussed the Government Summit that will be held Oct 25-26.  He will provide more information when available.

We discussed putting a Welcome Letter together for new members discussing the set-up and what information we need.  The committee will  work on this and send internally first so we can make sure it covers everything that we need.

Next Meeting

Date:               September 8, 2016 @ 1:30 pm

Location:          Cologix

Meeting Adjourned.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Tiemeier

 

July 2016 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Paul Schopis, Greg Dunn, Marijan Adam, Shelby Anderson,  Kim Gerhart, Nancy Tiemeier, Michael Hudak, Steve Steele, Brent Beatty, Lynn Child, Luke Skidmore

Secretary Report – Minutes were approved.

Old Business

Insurance application still outstanding – still working on business plan, should have quote soon.

Cologix MSA still dependent on establishing Insurance Coverage.

Status on adding Membership application to website – The changes have been made to the application and Marijan is adding to the website.

Go Live Status – The hardware will start to be installed tomorrow, July 8th.  OARnet will provide the LOA’s for the fiber cross connects to be used for management of the system.  The IXP manager which will provide stats to the members should be integrated by the end of next week.  Marijan will give the ok and let us know when members can start to connect.  LOA information can be given to Nancy for the cross connects provided by the  Exchange.  All connections will be single mode fiber.  The goal is to go live by end of July.

Status on ARIN – The payment has been sent and received.  We have gotten our assigned ASN – 16 bit.

Existing cross connects connected to old exchange – Those will be disconnected.  Cologix did approve 2 additional cross connects for management purposes but the HE connection will be disconnected.  Tim will talk to HE about connecting to the exchange.

Mass Market Content – no updates in this meeting.  We discussed again that all members should join DB.  Paul will discuss the Netflow study with others at OARnet.  Paul will also start working on an agreement for Ohio IX on management and services.

Policy on Tier 1 and 2 carriers – This will be a case by case basis at this point, they may want to peer on a regional basis.   Discussed MICE operates differently (on donation) so may not be able to use their model.  Tim will contact Walt from HE and talk about joining the exchange.

Document Share – This is set up and Nancy has started to add documents to it.  If you want access, you need to send a gmail address to Marijan and he will set you up.  He can also set up an email account for the Ohio IX, just let him know where you want it routed.

New Business

Senior Members for acceptance:

Everstream – Paul moved and Luke seconded, approved

Horizon – Paul moved and Marijan seconded, approved

Centracom – Luke moved and Kim seconded, approved

Doug signed applications and Nancy will send out countersigned copies.  Doug will invoice.

Associate Member Status – no new applications

Governance report – We will resend to those that still need to sign and return.  Will send to Brent Beatty and Lynn Child.

Marketing Report

The website has been updated but still working to make it better.  Brent is setting up meeting with someone who will help us with the website and branding.   Discussed changing the logo to match the image we want versus what was used before.  The committee will bring back ideas.

The forms have been added to the website and the membership list will be added shortly.  We were waiting on the new members from this meeting so could add them all at the same time.

They are working on a leave behind and presentation that we can use when looking for new members.  Will try to go out on July 18th or 19th.

We will have a table for Columbus Connect in September (donated by Cologix) so will work on preparing for that.

Update on Microsoft

CTO Report – was covered under old business

No additional business

Next Meeting – August 4th at 1:30 at Cologix.  A meeting notice will be sent.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully Submitted

Nancy Tiemeier